Friday, May 7, 2010

Story Lack

I hate writer's block. Previously i even broke up with it, only now I think it's stalking me.

So, as part of my daily butt-in-seat trying to write even if I can't, I wrote this.

It has no name though...

I looked up from the computer screen dejectedly. I knew I was supposed to write, I knew it cold. So why couldn’t I do it? It was like someone was gradually letting the air out of my potential and each word I typed got more archaic. I had no clue what I was saying.
“So Audrey, will we be reading that book of yours any time soon?” My friend Gabe joked. He had an open gaming manual by his keyboard and an anime chat site open in the window. I gave him a halfhearted smile.
“You never know.” I answered. The truth was that I knew. Never. That’s when he’d see my book, never. I would never finish it. Hell, I couldn’t even start it. Without another word I logged off the computer. It was an off-hour and I had better things I could be doing than faking my future writing career. I grabbed my coat and backpack and hurried out of the business office. Aside from the library it was the only place with computers. But I didn’t want that now. I never wanted to look at another computer screen again. Ever.
“Audrey, how’s the book coming?” Mrs. Sheldon asked cheerfully. I shrugged.
“Not bad, I just have to keep plugging away.” I nodded. She gave me a bewildered smile before patting my shoulder awkwardly.
“Well whatever works, I guess.” Not that I’d expect her to understand. She’s a math teacher. To her it was merely words. To me, well… I hadn’t gotten that far. I turned down an opposite hallway. Not that I didn’t want to talk to her anymore…but, well, I just didn’t want to talk to her anymore. I wanted to sleep. I had a history project next period and I needed my strength to make-believe my way through it. I could lie my way through anything and did, most of the time.
“Audrey, have you finished the next chapter? I can’t wait to find out what happens to Brin.” Mr. Davis clapped his hands together eagerly. My mind screamed furious insults.
“Yeah, I’ll bring them tomorrow.” I lied through gritted teeth. He clapped a hand on my shoulder.
“I hope she finally beats Kalhid.” He suggested. “It would be about time.”
“You’ll just have to wait and see.” I countered. He sighed and stopped at the copy room.
“Just don’t forget to bring it this time, you always forget.” He shouted at my back I turned with a wave.
“I’ll get it to you.” I promised. I turned back around. “Just as soon as I write it.” I muttered to myself. I waited for one more question about my book. That would be the last straw. I quickened my steps. I’d be safe in the art hall where the only questions would be, ‘can I borrow your red?’ I grinned inwardly. Yeah, I’d be safe there.
“Audrey!” A voice cried out behind me.
“For the love of god!” I screamed and barreled ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Visual DNA

Story Lack

I hate writer's block. Previously i even broke up with it, only now I think it's stalking me.

So, as part of my daily butt-in-seat trying to write even if I can't, I wrote this.

It has no name though...

I looked up from the computer screen dejectedly. I knew I was supposed to write, I knew it cold. So why couldn’t I do it? It was like someone was gradually letting the air out of my potential and each word I typed got more archaic. I had no clue what I was saying.
“So Audrey, will we be reading that book of yours any time soon?” My friend Gabe joked. He had an open gaming manual by his keyboard and an anime chat site open in the window. I gave him a halfhearted smile.
“You never know.” I answered. The truth was that I knew. Never. That’s when he’d see my book, never. I would never finish it. Hell, I couldn’t even start it. Without another word I logged off the computer. It was an off-hour and I had better things I could be doing than faking my future writing career. I grabbed my coat and backpack and hurried out of the business office. Aside from the library it was the only place with computers. But I didn’t want that now. I never wanted to look at another computer screen again. Ever.
“Audrey, how’s the book coming?” Mrs. Sheldon asked cheerfully. I shrugged.
“Not bad, I just have to keep plugging away.” I nodded. She gave me a bewildered smile before patting my shoulder awkwardly.
“Well whatever works, I guess.” Not that I’d expect her to understand. She’s a math teacher. To her it was merely words. To me, well… I hadn’t gotten that far. I turned down an opposite hallway. Not that I didn’t want to talk to her anymore…but, well, I just didn’t want to talk to her anymore. I wanted to sleep. I had a history project next period and I needed my strength to make-believe my way through it. I could lie my way through anything and did, most of the time.
“Audrey, have you finished the next chapter? I can’t wait to find out what happens to Brin.” Mr. Davis clapped his hands together eagerly. My mind screamed furious insults.
“Yeah, I’ll bring them tomorrow.” I lied through gritted teeth. He clapped a hand on my shoulder.
“I hope she finally beats Kalhid.” He suggested. “It would be about time.”
“You’ll just have to wait and see.” I countered. He sighed and stopped at the copy room.
“Just don’t forget to bring it this time, you always forget.” He shouted at my back I turned with a wave.
“I’ll get it to you.” I promised. I turned back around. “Just as soon as I write it.” I muttered to myself. I waited for one more question about my book. That would be the last straw. I quickened my steps. I’d be safe in the art hall where the only questions would be, ‘can I borrow your red?’ I grinned inwardly. Yeah, I’d be safe there.
“Audrey!” A voice cried out behind me.
“For the love of god!” I screamed and barreled ahead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment